Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Traveler's Pledge

As travelers, we have a responsibility to the communities we visit, to the people within those communities, and to ourselves. We owe it to the community hosting us to preserve its integrity. We owe it to the people hosting us to respect their culture. We owe it to ourselves to enjoy our travels and represent our own communities well. I enourage you to take the traveler's pledge:

I pledge to travel responsibly, to show the utmost respect for the people, community, and culture.
Wherever I travel, I shall find my family, my community, and my culture.
I will treat the people as family, listen to them, care for them. I will enjoy my time with them.
I will treat the community as my own, preserve its beauty so that others can enjoy it.
I will show understanding for the culture, learn about it, participate in it.


While traveling, I will be a representative of my home community. 
I will teach others of my culture.
I will teach others of my people.


I pledge to travel as a world citizen, to participate and engage, to learn and teach, to respect and protect, so that those who have been there before me and those who will be there after me shall have the opportunity to enjoy the world as it should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment