Wednesday, June 22, 2011

You don't know Jack-Buduburam Refugee Camp, Ghana

My favourite questions that I have been asked in Ghana and the answers I gave:

Q: What is malaria like?
A: The flu. Headache, sore throat, body aches, extreme tiredness, fever, hot and cold flashes. (I recovered in a little less than a week)

Q: Why did you make us slaves?
A: Although I did not make anyone a slave, I think it was just because the people at the time could do it, so they did. It was a profitable business. Maybe they saw Africans as a lesser being because of their skin color and the way they chose to live. (This was my first week here; welcome to Ghana)

Q: Isn't Julian a girls name?
A: No. (No one here has heard the name Julian before except the Ivorians because they speak French.)

Q: Condoms really ruin the experience of sex for me, as soon as I see one in the bedroom, I'm just not interested anymore. What should I do?
A: I'm not going to be there at the moment so I can't tell you what to do. They make a lot of different condoms, maybe try another type. If none of them work, try to use other methods to prevent pregnancy and spread of disease. (During my AIDS/HIV community outreach)

Q: Have you ever eaten dog?
A: No. (and still no.)

Q: I know that giving a girl oral sex can give her lots of pleasure, but I know diseases can be spread that way. Would you give any girl oral sex if you are going to have sex with her?
A: Wait until you are in a relationship with a girl first. You should probably know her fairly well and know whether she has any STD's. Also if you are in a relationship or in love, that just gives you all the more reason to want to give her pleasure, and that makes the experience fun for you too. (This was followed by a discussion on American sexual culture versus African sexual culture. It was really enlightening.)

Q: What if you are in a relationship and the person loves you, but you don't love them back?
A: I don't think it works that. I think you both have to love eachother. (5 minutes later..."I love you, Julian.")

Q: What is the food like?
A: Rice and stew. Cabbage stew, pepper stew, groundnut stew, stewed potato greens. (I eat anywhere from 2-5 cups of cooked rice a day. If I don't eat any rice, I don't feel full.)

Q: Are you losing weight?
A: Yes, but I eat about twice as much as I did in the US. (I like to run in the mornings or play soccer. Also, walking is the main mode of transportation here. My guess is that I walk 4-8 miles a day in addition to any distance that I run.)

Q: What is the first thing you will eat when you get back?
A: A cheeseburger, then sushi. Really good sushi.

Q: Do you get homesick?
A: I haven't yet. I expected to be when I had malaria. When I travel I always feel homesick when I'm extremely tired or sick. (I do on occasion get overwhelmed with emotion. There are few people here who I consider close friends, and there are even fewer that I would talk about my emotions with. I sometimes tear up when I'm telling other volunteers outside the camp about the lives of some of my friends on camp. That's about as close as I've gotten to homesick)

Q: Do you miss home?
A: I miss my family and friends. I miss seeing familiar faces and getting hugs from people I know. I miss talking with people who have grown up in a similar situation to myself. (Sometimes I really just want to have someone here who can see the camp through the same eyes that I see it.  The other night the moon was really full and bright and beautiful and all I wanted was for someone I knew to be here to stare at the sky with me.)

If you have more questions, please post them on the blog wall and I will answer them. Thanks for all of the good questions so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment