Sunday, January 29, 2012

Writer's Block

Writer's block. That's all that came to mind when I sat down to write. I sat and stared at the keyboard, put on some music, and I couldn't think of anything to write.  That's what writer's block is, when you can't think of anything to write, right?

Nope. It is literally impossible to not think of anything to write. That big brain of yours is filled with things to be written; ideas, thoughts, words. Writer's block is your brain telling you not to write because your idea isn't yet "perfect." My "perfect" idea is something that is entertaining and interesting to you. If I can't think of anything entertaining or interesting, I can't write. Writer's block is easy enough to cure, just write something.

Beat writer's block: Don't worry about writing the perfect idea. Begin by writing an idea. Start with a word. Put that word on paper. More words will follow. Editing will sculpt those words into the perfect idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment